Social Media Explained: Instagram Stories for Business
Updated: Jul 25
Not sure where to start with Instagram stories? These days, it’s not enough to just simply post Instagram feed posts – social media is all about documenting your everyday life with your followers, through sharing bite-sized chunks of content i.e. Instagram stories. In this guide, we will cover the basics of Instagram stories, as well as sharing some top tips and tricks for creating memorable stories that your audience will love. Keep reading….
What are Instagram Stories?
Instagram stories are an in-app feature that allows users to share spontaneous content that is only available for a short period of time. They are published separately from your feed content and can be found at the top of the screen on the mobile app.
How Long do Instagram Stories Last?
Instagram stories last for just 24 hours on your profile before disappearing. Videos included in your story can be up to 15 seconds long – if you add a longer video, it will be broken up into 15-second chunks.
What are Instagram Story Highlights?
Instagram story highlights are collections of Instagram stories that have been saved to permanently appear on your profile. Business’ often use highlights to save important information that users can access quickly, such as customer reviews and FAQs.
Why Should Business’ Use Instagram Stories?
Because they’re often the first piece of content that users see when they open the app, Instagram stories can get a ton of engagement. It’s a great way to increase brand awareness and inject your personality into your brand, without taking up too much of your user’s time (especially important as social media users often have short attention spans).
Our Top Tips for Creating Memorable Instagram Stories
So now you know the basics of Instagram stories, we thought we would share some of our top tips and tricks for creating memorable stories. You can thank us later!
1) Use hashtags and location tags. Add hashtags and locations to your Instagram story to increase views, as people will be able to find you during searches for specific hashtags or locations. Example: If you’re posting content whilst at an event, include the event hashtag and location within your stories.
2) Use poll stickers. Polls are questions with two answers (typically yes/no) that your followers can quickly and easily get involved in, making them ideal for an instant engagement boost. Example: Use a poll to ask your audience if they have used your products before, or which product they prefer from two given choices.
3) Use emoji slider stickers. Using your given emoji, users can slide the bar to their desired level/value, providing another quick and easy engagement opportunity. Example: Post a photo of a new product or a video of somebody using your product with a “heart eyes” emoji slider to generate hype.
4) Add links. Include links within your Instagram stories to direct your followers to your website, blogs, newsletter and more. This will help directly convert followers into sales. Example: Share a snippet of a recent blog post and include a link that clicks through to the post.
5) Use question stickers. Add a question sticker to your Instagram story to gain valuable feedback and encourage interactions from your audience. You can then reply to any questions directly via DM or share them in a new story. Example: Ask your audience what they think about your products, or invite them to submit questions for a Q&A.
6) Use quiz stickers. Quiz stickers are similar to poll stickers; however, they usually include 4 or 5 options for answers – making for a quick and fun way to encourage more clicks. Example: Quiz your followers on your brand story or products and shout out the winners on a new story.
7) Use product stickers. Tag specific products in your stories to create a streamlined way for your audience to shop your products, encouraging sales directly through Instagram. Example: Include a picture or video of a product in action and include a product sticker to allow followers to shop.
8) Use countdown stickers. Create a countdown to an upcoming event to build hype and generate more sales/views. Example: Add a countdown sticker to your story to advertise an upcoming product launch or event you are involved in and encourage users to “save the date”!
9) Go “live”. This is similar to a chat sticker, except you are broadcasting live to the world. It’s an excellent way to encourage lots of questions and comments from both followers and non-followers. Example: Go live and discuss an industry-related topic, inviting others to ask questions and share their comments.
10) Post regularly. As with feed posts, you should be posting stories on a regular basis.
Social Media Marketing from Melissa’s Copy
In today’s digital world, it is vitally important that your business has a bulletproof online presence. Social media is a totally FREE form of advertising, allowing you to elevate your brand above competitors.
Melissa’s Copy can help develop your business’ brand across multiple social media platforms. Click here to book your FREE consultation with one of our team today!